Thursday, June 7, 2007

Day 8 - June 7, 2007


Guessing game for the day. Who can guess what I ate for breakfast? The breakfast buffet here at the White Swan is impressive. I have never seen so much food. They cater to the Chinese, American, and European traveller. Whatever you could possible want, they have. Just to let you know - the little prickly balls are called Lichi fruit, and they are delicious. The top yellow kidney shaped one is a little tiny mango - I think I will eat about 5 of those today. The star shaped one is actually from Todd's plate, so I didn't tast it. I put a banana on so you could have one easy one :) FYI - I also had a ham, tomato, green/yellow pepper, mushroom and cheese omelet, 3 pieces of bacon, 2 glasses of orange juice, and a cranberry/yogurt parfait kind of thing.

Two big events today - the first was Micah "playing" with us. He would sit and look at the pins. Then he would reach out with either one finger or his foot and knock them over while Todd and I made silly noises. The first couple times he looked at us like we were nuts. Then he just took it for granted that we would whoop and holler while he calmly pushed them over again and again. Progress, progress.

Today's sight-seeing took us to the Chen Family Temple. Evidently, each family, or clan, has its own place of worship. I'm pretty sure they had other business transactions take place there as well, but our guide was talking to Todd at the time and I missed it. This place was beautiful - as everyplace has been so far. I am still amazed at the work they put into decorating - on the roof, wood screens, statues, gardens, everything! I am attaching a few miscellaneous pictures for you to see. By the way, kids, if Jackie Chan lived here in Guangzhou, this would be his family temple. Another by the way, Foshan (where Micah is from) is famous for its ceramics. Peter, this is the only snake I have seen so far - I hope this picture of a ceramic snake is to your liking.
Our next stop was a wholesale market place. We dined on some incredibly exotic food here - Kentucky Fried Chicken! After all of the different foods we have been eating, it was nice to have a little taste of home. We looked around at so many different shops - turquoise, pearls, jade, clothing, CD/DVDs, it was almost more than I could take in. How does anybody know where to go?

And finally, the biggest event of the day. Micah was ravenously hungry after all of the shopping, so I got out a bottle and set it on the bed just out of his reach. He finally crawled about 3 feet! It wasn't a very good crawl, but it was definitely up on his hands and knees and CRAWLING! Todd was on cloud 9. So was I. Micah didn't care - he just wanted his bottle.


5 comments:

Sam said...

Boy do I miss that buffet!!! There is a fruit on it that you really need to try. It looks like a slice of melon, but is white with little black seeds. This is called Dragon Fruit. LOVE IT!!!! There is also another fruit that looks like a tomato. You scoop out the center with a spoon and don't eat the skin. Not sure what it's called but it is YUMMY!!! So glad things are going great!!! Have lots of fun for me!

Sam
ps If you have Mable for a guide tell her Cullen still misses her!!!

Aunt Amy said...

Glenn & I are so enjoying your postings!! What a wonderful experience you're having!!

I've included 3 of my friends on your Blog - Carolyn Brink, Mary Baumgartner, & Sonia Dobias. They are all thrilled & supportive!!!!

Hope to talk with you two when you get home!!

Love, Aunt Amy

Clurt said...

The Kleins concur. We spent the majority of our time in Fuzhou where the buffet was...well...not quite like the WS.

You've got to go eat at Lucy's and post a picture in front of the sign...Alex will be very excited!

Barb O said...

Hi Venema's, We have really enjoyed watching your family grow over this last week. You have made us smile. Hope your trip home goes well.

Love and Prayers from the Orson's

Clurt said...

I'm sure you said it before but I'm too lazy to go find it...when do you return?
The Kleins