Monday, June 4, 2007

Day 5 - June 4, 2007


It's Gotcha Day! We met our guide at 3:15 and left for the Civil Affairs office. We were ushered into a small room, given some forms to sign, and then in walked the lady with our little guy! It all felt extremely rushed. He was a little fussy when we got him. Probably due to the fact that he had missed his nap time, had just finished his first ever car trip, and had spent quite a while in a room full of stressed little babies. We asked if they had brought his blanket, books, toys, camera, etc. from his care package, and received the distressing news that he had never received the package. Talk about upsetting! That means he had never seen our pictures, never had a chance to become fond of his blankie or toys, never had his picture taken with the disposable cameras, and his blanket that matches Peter's is lost in Postal Never-Never Land. The poor little guy came to us with literally just the clothes on his back - not a familiar object in sight.

The car trip back to the hotel was entertaining. It is obvious that Micah has never been in a car or seen the outside world. He sat facing me, clutching my shirt with both hands, and turning his head back and forth, back and forth, back and forth - nonstop, just trying to see as much as he could. He wasn't scared, just curious. With 3 busy older siblings waiting at home, he will soon become bored with being in a car :)

We came back to the hotel and did a bit more paperwork. I made a bottle for Micah, but he had no interest in it what-so-ever. So, he missed his 4:30 feeding. He sat on me for 2 solid hours. He never once tried to get up or move. He looked at his fingers, my hair, his fingers, his toes, his fingers, my buttons, his fingers . . . He cried 3 or 4 times, but stopped each time I turned him back to face me. It's funny, he wants to face me, but doesn't want to look at my face. After about 1 1/2 hours of just sitting and chilling, he started blowing raspberries and spit bubbles. Being a mom, I blew raspberries back at him. He was quite startled to have that happen! So, we sat for about 15 minutes blowing bubbles and raspberries. I think we will be doing lots of raspberry blowing - he finally looked me in the eye while we were doing that. He finally fell asleep sitting on my lap. He would NOT put his head on my shoulder, but finally let me prop his head with my hand. Let's see. This means he missed his 4:30 feeding, his 9:00 feeding, and went to bed 3 1/2 hours early. Hmmm, one might think his schedule is a little bit off.

Todd and I are waiting for Papa John's pizza to be delivered. It's been over an hour, so I'm not thinking this is a good sign.

3 comments:

Lisa Clinch said...

Todd and Becky,

He is beautiful! Congratulations. Can't wait to meet him.

Love,

Lisa, Tom, and Beth

Sam said...

What a little cutie!!!!! Kieren can't wait to meet him at Panda Cubs!!!!! I'm so thrilled for you. Congrats! Enjoy Shamian Island!!!!

Sam

alison said...

You have a beautiful son!!

Alison in Ohio
mom to 5....one who is a terrific boy from China