Friday, October 12, 2007

The Communication Lightbulb is . . . Plugged In!

Everybody keeps asking how Micah is doing. Yesterday's post was a family affair . . . today will be a Micah only update. In short, he is keeping us busy, and wearing us (and himself) out.


You may be wondering about the title for today's entry. Well, I think Micah is finally STARTING to get the idea about this whole tw0-way communication thing. The lightbulb is not ON, but I can see that the lamp has been plugged in. I think the bulb may even be glowing :) He is currently using 3 words consistently - unprompted and with meaning. Those 3 words would be "all gone" (ga-ga), "Mama", and "milk" (mmmk). I would like everybody who reads this to try to say "milk" without opening your mouth. Go ahead - press your lips together, say "mmm" and then get a good strong "K" sound . . . but DON'T OPEN YOUR MOUTH. Not so easy for you and me, but Micah sure has it down pat. He will lay in my arms while drinking his bottle and say "Mmmmk. Mmmmmk. Mmmmmk." The only problem is that every time he says it, he expects me to sign it. If I don't, he pulls at my hand until I do. He will say more (mmmmmmmmoooo), up (puuuup uuuuup), and bye-bye with prompting. He signs "dog" (but never when a dog is around) and will sometimes wave. He recognized several signs - milk, caterpillar (one of his favorite toys), bear, all done, cheerios, cheese, toast, peaches, bath (he signed and said that one today), and horse. When I say he recognizes them, I mean he ranges from total comprehension to him looking at my hands with this "that-looks-familiar-what-the-heck-does-it-mean-I've-almost-got-it-agh!" look on his face. He likes for me to sign words ON him - he will grab my hand, pull it over to him and lean in waiting for me to sign on his body. His favorites for me to do are Sofi, Peter, Molly and Daddy. Recognition is a great first step. Now we are just waiting for him to start using some of this great language.


Now for development - We took Micah back to the International Adoption Clinic last week for a 3 month follow-up visit. They re-evaluated him in several areas. When we visited them in June for his initial evaluation (he was 15 1/2 months old), they came up with these results.

Gross Motor: 9 months
Language: 8 months
Fine Motor: 6 months
Personal/Social: 5 months

At our most recent visit (he was 18 1/2 months old), they came up with these results.

Gross Motor: 11 months
Language: 13 months
Fine Motor: 12 months
Personal/Social: 10 months


The lady who did the evaluation was a little fussed about the lack of progress in the gross motor area, but the doctor said to just wait until the 6 month follow-up before getting too concerned. He has made great strides in other areas . . . his focus has been on things other than learning to walk. We are now spending lots of time walking all bent over (that would be the adults are all bent over - holding his hands, the back of his shirt, his overall straps, etc.). I have seen an improvement in his assisted walking in just the past week.


The little guy continues to laugh and giggle up a storm. I was standing next to the crib last night, swaying him back and forth and getting in my last cuddles before putting him down. I noticed he would laugh . . . and stop . . . and laugh . . . and stop. I finally took a look. His hand would lightly brush over the top of the rail to his crib everytime I swayed toward the crib. I have no idea what was so funny about that, but I got a kick out of his giggles. He is doing a bit of climbing. He loves to put blocks, balls, small toys, etc. into the tube of his ball popper (see picture above). Luckily we have been able to get everything out so far. I think I reported in an earlier post that he likes to crawl through the kitchen, open my pantry, take out the baking powder and corn starch containers, build a tower out of them, and then leave the kitchen. He has now graduated to the baking powder, corn starch, and Mrs. Dash seasoning blend. Who-hooo! 3 stories tall! He continues to be a one-baby wrecking machine, capable of destroying an entire room in 3 minutes flat. He has now discovered the craft cabinet - he can pull out the drawer of crayons and empty it completely. The drawer also makes a comfy seat (as pictured above). And last, but not least, he thinks it's hilarious that he can now reach the door handles - booooing! giggle, giggle, giggle. booooooing! giggle, giggle, giggle. booooooing! giggle, giggle, giggle.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, what a big boy! So much progress in such a short time! You are wonderful parents and wonderful sisters and brother.